Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Friday 2 September 2011

Is Twitter just a tiny bit broken? Links stop working on being retweeted if comments added

Edit: 8 July 2012 - well this appears to be entirely fixed, making this post fairly pointless :)

These new short links are fine until someone tries to retweet and add a comment. The missing http:// in the originally shortened link renders the retweeted version unclickable, as shown below. I'm using either Twitter.com on Firefox, IE or Chrome on my computer and Tweetdeck for iPhone - this link is unclickable in all of them.

This means I don't click when I'm on my iPhone as it's just a bit of a palaver. I need to pretend to RT the tweet so that I can get it in an editable format, select the relevant bit, copy and paste it into Safari - no. I wonder if others give up too and if this means fewer people see stuff. I've heard a fair few bleats about this but far fewer than I'd have imagined - so what iPhone tools are you using that means you're not noticing or troubled by this? (Copying and pasting is the work of seconds on a PC so I don't care much about the extra step there).




Not everyone agrees with me but I really think that one of the strengths of the 'classic' RT is to use it exactly as Ed has done here and add a comment, bon mot, bit of context or some other contribution (if enough space it could be a link to a related item).

Doing so, with the new style of shortened links, wrecks the clickability of the link though. Any time Ed (or anyone) posts an RT and adds an emphatic "This!" to it, or any other comment, if I'm reading on my iPhone I'll have to miss it or fave it for later.

The "correct" way to RT this is to do so without adding any comment (the link seems to work fine then). On iPhone Tweetdeck you're given a choice as to how to RT something - 'classic' or 'new'.

But if I see a post because Ed's retweeted it (I follow him) and decide to retweet it myself, then Ed gets no 'credit' as far as I can tell. Twitter records me as having RTed Zoe Corbyn but the network of how it got to me (I follow Ed, Ed follows Zoe) is missing.

Since Twitter seems to be all about making networks more explicit (if it isn't it's been doing an awfully good impression of it and I often follow a new person because of how they've been interacting with and been RTed by others that I follow) this seems a bit of shame.

So... the new shortened link system would seem to direct users to use the new style RT and I already disliked the new RT anyway (in most cases) because of its 'network-hiding' properties.

Given that Twitter brought in the @ protocol after users started using it and the 'new RT' after people had been manually RTing posts for years (OK that is one advantage of the new RT system!) and also given that the protocol of MT for modified tweet has gained ground (funnily enough I learned of it through following Ed) I would like to suggest that Twitter brings in some sort of auto-MT system so that any link in a manually retweeted link can be made clickable. Or do some magical thing that makes anything in the format blah.blah/blah show up as a link...

Background to the shortened links
Twitter's brought in auto-shortened, active links (text that isn't written as an http://blah..com web address but which goes to one when you click on it, like this) that dispense with the http:// bit at the front.

The good thing about this is that there are two ways in which you can get more text in your tweet - the link will be shortened anyway and you'll gain an extra 7 characters from the http:// bit. Another bonus is that when you hover over an address it will show you the real address (this allows people to see where a link is going to take them - see more at this Mashable page).

If you're on a desktop / laptop computer and type a full-length web address then you'll see it as it is, Twitter will tell you it'll be shortened and your character countdown re-adjusts itself to tell you how many characters remain based on the shorter URL. It's pretty cool. It's not optional though (for the last three years I've turned almost every link I've ever posted as a fairly-short is.gd/ URL and I think even these get tweaked).

Shortened link (ha!) for this post is http://is.gd/dZThpn - I put it at the end cos I thought it would be a bit confusing at the beginning, but I have these in most of my posts.

1 comment:

  1. I need to pretend to RT the tweet so that I can get it in an editable format, select the relevant bit.
    AC Service The Woodlands

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).